Pros and Cons of Professional Tile Installation vs. DIY
At some point, you’ve probably considered DIY home renovations to help save a little money. Perhaps you’re at that point now. You’re ready to tile or retile your home, but you’re unsure if you should tackle it yourself or hire a team for professional tile installation. First, however, let us help you break down some of the pros and cons of both scenarios.
Important Things to Consider First
There is more than just the laying of tile to be pondered. We really feel tiling can be for anyone who is handy and willing to learn a new skill. However, when looking at projects involving plumbing and electricity, it is advised to have a professional. You might want to consider some other factors before taking on a tiling project.
- Time Investment – This is a big one. Do you have time? It might be just one more thing to take on if you have a full-time job, especially if you manage school, sports, and other activities for the kids. How about pets? It would be best to contemplate whether you have enough time to dedicate to installing tiles. Depending on your schedule, it might not be feasible. Do you have the time to dedicate to this?
- Home Interruption – It’s important to consider how this will impact your household. Is it the tiling of the main bathroom? How long will that room be out of commission? Do you have another bathroom family members can use? Before committing to the project, think about how much it could disrupt your daily routine.
- Additional Expenses – When it comes to installation, you’ll save money doing it yourself. But that is only if you do the job right the first time. There are also special tools you might need to buy. Ask yourself if you’ll ever use them again before going to the local hardware store.
- Experience – When you pay for professional tile installation, you pay for more than time. You also get the technicians’ knowledge and expertise. They’ll have firsthand know-how if they’ve been in the industry for a while. Additionally, they’ll likely have learned from previous mistakes. Finally, professional tilers will be ready to handle any issues, ensuring that your job gets completed correctly.
DIY vs. Professional Tile Installation
There’s nothing wrong with adding a personal touch to your home renovations. But as with most things, there are pros and cons to doing it yourself or hiring a professional.
Pros of DIY Tile Installation
When you complete the project on your own, you’ll be in complete control of the timeline and process. Other benefits include:
- Saving money
- Learning a new skill
- Controlling the design
You’ll also walk away from the project with the satisfaction of completing it on your own.
Cons of DIY Tile Installation
Taking on a new project can be exciting but may lead to more mistakes. Disadvantages of DIY tile installation include:
- Making a time commitment
- Spending money/time to fix mistakes
- Interruption of daily routines
- Purchasing specialty tools
You may save money doing it yourself, but the quality of the workmanship may also decline unless you are pretty handy.
Pros of Professional Tile Installation
Professionals have the skills and understanding to produce the quality results you want. Benefits of hiring a pro include:
- Quicker process from start to finish
- Already has the skills and tools for the job
- Can provide guarantee on craftsmanship
Using a professional can reduce the stress associated with any DIY project.
Cons of Professional Tile Installation
Hiring a professional is great. Still, there are a few drawbacks to paying someone else to complete the job. These include:
- Labor costs make it more expensive
- Not their only job, i.e., could be pushed out the start time
- Having to trust they are the best for the job
You may give up a level of control when hiring a professional you might not want to relinquish.
Get Help at Atlas Marble & Tile
At Atlas Marble & Tile, we work with homeowners that want to DIY and homeowners who hire contractors. While we do not install tile, we are happy to offer names of trusted contractors. Still, there is no “right” choice. It’s what makes the most sense for your home and budget. However, we genuinely believe tiling can be for anyone willing to learn new skills. We recommend starting with something small such as a backsplash.
If you want some tips or tricks on how to take on your first tiling project, we are here to help! For questions about tiling and the best materials to use, contact the team at Atlas Marble & Tile.